Friday, April 4, 2008

A Tribute to Bob

I grew up watching Channel 4 WBZ News with my parents. A duo that really stands out in my mind was Bob (Lobel) and Liz (Walker).

Bob was the sportscaster.


Liz was a news anchor.
They sat side by side and literally shoulder to shoulder. He is a tall man. And she.. well, I saw her in the Fabric Store in Framingham not too long ago. She is one tall lady! Liz left broadcasting in 2005 to pursue a career as a youth minister.

Liz and Bob had a most wonderful on-air repartée. They would banter and tease one another. I nearly forgot I was watching a newscast. In fact, I probably didn’t remember what they were saying. For some reason, I just enjoyed watching them. Bob used props and catchphrases. He also did a lot of local charity work.

I learned the other day that after 30 years in Boston, Bob was let go from WBZ-TV (now it’s CBS). TV is a-changing. ESPN and other cable sports channels are taking over. There are channels devoted to football, golf and tennis. Ratings… salaries…the way the news is presented…who’s cool… ESPN…I am not sure of the reason. It’s a business decision they’ll say. Let’s forget that part now and think about Bob. Globe Columnist Jackie MacMullen wrote a biographic, yet heartfelt, piece about Bob and his talents as a sportscaster. He didn’t report sports, he lived it. He didn’t report on people, he knew them personally.

That is what made Bob Lobel so good at his job. It wasn’t just a job.

My point? Passion. Passion will take you to where you need to go. Liz found a wonderful new passion. Bob Lobel is still passionate about sports,- about the people in sports and about reporting sports to his viewers. What are you passionate about?

No comments: