Friday, April 11, 2008

Do as I do, and do as I say




Something is bugging me. People who don’t do what they say they will do. And not just that. I understand deadlines can slip. Things come up. But let me know the new deadline or reset expectations. I have two examples just from this week. Example number one: The Contractor. If you have ever had to deal with contractors (I hear your eyes rolling), you know what I mean. It doesn’t matter what kind. They all know they have you by the “you-know-whats.” We contracted a company to have the driveway paved. It was a mess. Long story short, they wanted a bunch of dough upfront. Then they said, “We’ll be here tomorrow by the early afternoon.” My husband worked from home to monitor things. Even after a call to the manager in the early afternoon asking, “Where are you?” the guys didn’t show until 5:45 p.m. I don’t think they were working on Pacific Time. This is small potatoes compared to the time we had a study rebuilt. If I let my clients wait like these contractors let me wait, my tuchus would be on Route 128 looking for a job.

That example came on the heels of another one. My daughter needed to finish a project at school and asked her teacher if she could come before school one morning. The teacher said, “Sure. I am in every morning at 7:30 a.m.” Sounded like a no-brainer. Abby was up and out in record time the next morning. We were proud of her for her determination and effort. We arrived to school at 7:29 only to have the office staffperson say, “Oh you can’t go to the class now. The teacher is setting up her room. You can’t go in until 7:45.” Whaaa? I needed to get to work. Abby needed to finish her project. Why did the teacher say 7:30 when it meant something else?


Honesty is such a lonely word. Everyone is so untrue. Honesty is hardly ever heard. And mostly what I need from you
-Billy Joel


My point? I realize these example are small potatoes. But I could cite so many more. They add up. Noone is perfect. I certainly am not. If you tell me you’re going to do something at a certain time, do it. If you can’t make the deadline, fine, let me know. Be honest with me. I’ll respect you more.

No comments: