Wednesday, April 2, 2008

My secret vice -- the comics!


I admit it. I love to read the daily comics in the Boston Globe. Some are one-shot deals, like Rhymes with Orange, F-Minus and Rose is Rose. Others, like For Better Or For Worse, offer a serial style. The current theme in For Better Or For Worse (http://www.fborfw.com/) is that the Elly and John Patterson’s middle daughter, Elizabeth, has finally reunited with the love of her life Anthony, who is divorced with one daughter. The author, Lynn Johnston, gently took her readers hither and thon with Elizabeth to get to this point. And to my great joy, Elizabeth, or Lizard-breath, as her older brother Michael always called her, will be marrying Anthony. Another theme of this strip is that the mother’s father, Jim, had another stroke. He is home and being tended to by his wonderful 2nd wife, Iris. The grandfather, Jim, recently gave Elizabeth his blessing to wear his first wife, Marian’s, wedding dress for her wedding. I was practically in tears. I pray that Jim will live to see Elizabeth walk down the aisle. Oh Lynn, please have a heart!

My point: Do I need a life? Well, some watch American Idol. Others watch soap operas. I happen to think the comics have more truth and lessons packed into 3 – 5 frames than many articles. Stay tuned….

No comments: