Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I Gotta Kick the Habit


It takes a tragedy to open up someone’s eyes. Let’s take… cell phones and texting while driving. Estimates of the number of U.S. traffic deaths caused by cell phone talking while driving are generally in the 2,000 - 3,000 range with one hundred times as many injuries. Now, add in texting. You get the picture.

I admit it. I will use my cell in the car. I have also texted on my Blackberry And anyone who denies he/she does that is lying. Abigail always yells at me for doing that. She’s right.

Which is more valuable, your family’s safety or that one more email to the friend or client? I’ll take the family any day of the week.

This isn’t going to be easy but I am going to vow not to text during car rides. I cannot promise I won’t use the cell phone, but I will try to use it less. Maybe only receive a call.

I think I know what it means to have a habit. I need to kick the habit before it’s too late.

No comments: